Awards are a way of recognizing and celebrating excellence in various fields. They are given to individuals or groups who have achieved a certain level of success, whether it be in sports, academics, or the arts. Awards can serve as a great motivator for individuals to strive for excellence and can also provide recognition for their hard work and dedication.
An award can be defined as a prize or honor given to someone for their achievements or contributions. It can also be described as a recognition of excellence in a particular field or activity.
The practice of giving awards dates back to ancient times when emperors and kings would bestow honors on their soldiers and citizens for their bravery and loyalty. In modern times, awards have become a common practice in various fields, including sports, entertainment, and academia.
Meaning in different dictionaries
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, an award is “something that is conferred or bestowed especially on the basis of merit or need.” The Oxford English Dictionary defines an award as “a prize or other mark of recognition given in honor of an achievement.”
Awards are often associated with achievement, recognition, and excellence. They can also be associated with competition and a desire to be the best in a particular field.
Some synonyms for awards include prizes, honors, accolades, trophies, and certificates.
Antonyms for awards include demerits, penalties, and punishments.
The same root words
Words with the same root as awards include reward, prize, and honor.
- The Nobel Peace Prize is one of the most prestigious awards in the world.
- The athlete received an award for breaking the world record in the 100-meter dash.
- The school presented awards to the students who had achieved the highest grades in their classes.
- The actress was honored with an award for her outstanding performance in the movie.
- The company gave out awards to its top-performing employees at the annual banquet.