Antergic is a term that is not commonly used in everyday language, but it has a significant meaning in the medical field. The word antergic is associated with the immune system and its response to allergens. In this article, we will explore the definition, origin, and meaning of antergic.
Antergic is an adjective that describes the immune system’s response to allergens. When the immune system is exposed to an allergen, it produces antibodies called immunoglobulin E (IgE). These antibodies attach to mast cells and basophils, triggering the release of histamine and other chemicals that cause an allergic reaction.
The word antergic is derived from the Greek word “anti,” which means “against,” and “ergon,” which means “work.” The term was first used in the medical field to describe the immune system’s response to allergens.
Meaning in different dictionaries
The term antergic is not commonly found in dictionaries. However, some medical dictionaries define it as the opposite of an allergenic substance, which is a substance that causes an allergic reaction.
Antergic is associated with the immune system’s response to allergens. It is also associated with the production of immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies and the release of histamine and other chemicals that cause an allergic reaction.
There are no direct synonyms for antergic, but some related terms include anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-histamine.
The antonyms of antergic include allergenic, allergen, and allergic.
The same root words
The same root words as antergic include anti, which means “against,” and ergon, which means “work.” These root words are also found in other medical terms, such as antibiotic and ergonomics.
- The patient’s antergic response to the allergen was severe, causing anaphylaxis.
- The doctor prescribed an antihistamine to reduce the patient’s antergic symptoms.
- The food contained an allergen that triggered an antergic reaction in the patient.
- The immunologist studied the mechanism of the antergic response to develop new treatments for allergies.
- The anti-allergic medication helped to prevent the patient’s antergic reaction to the allergen.