An alphabet book is a book that is designed to help children learn the alphabet. It usually contains illustrations or photographs of objects that correspond to each letter of the alphabet. These books are often used in preschools and elementary schools to teach children the basics of reading and writing.
An alphabet book is a book that contains one or more pages for each letter of the alphabet, with each page featuring a word or picture that begins with that letter. The purpose of an alphabet book is to help children learn the letters of the alphabet and the sounds they make.
The origin of the alphabet book can be traced back to the early 19th century, when educators began to recognize the importance of teaching children the alphabet. The first alphabet books were simple, with each letter of the alphabet accompanied by a single word and an illustration. Over time, alphabet books became more complex, with multiple words and pictures for each letter.
Meaning in different dictionaries
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, an alphabet book is “a book for children that presents the letters of the alphabet with illustrations or photographs of objects that begin with the respective letters.” The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as “a book for children designed to teach them the alphabet, usually with illustrations or photographs.”
The association of an alphabet book is primarily with early childhood education. Alphabet books are often used in preschools and elementary schools to teach children the basics of reading and writing. They are also popular among parents who want to help their children learn the alphabet at home.
Some synonyms of alphabet book include ABC book, alphabet primer, and alphabet picture book.
There are no direct antonyms of alphabet book, but some related terms might include wordless books, non-fiction books, or books for older readers.
The same root words
There are no root words for alphabet book, as it is a compound noun made up of the words “alphabet” and “book.”
- My daughter loves her alphabet book, and she can recite the entire alphabet now.
- The preschool teacher used an alphabet book to help the children learn their letters.
- I bought an alphabet book for my nephew’s birthday, and he was so excited to start learning his ABCs.
- The illustrations in the alphabet book were so colorful and engaging that the children couldn’t wait to turn the pages.
- When I was a child, my favorite alphabet book was one that had a different animal for each letter of the alphabet.