Alfalfa weevil is a common pest that affects alfalfa crops. It is a type of beetle that feeds on the leaves and stems of alfalfa plants, causing significant damage to the crop. In this article, we will explore the definition and meaning of alfalfa weevil, its origin, associations, synonyms, antonyms, and example sentences.
Alfalfa weevil is a type of beetle that belongs to the family Curculionidae. It is a small, brownish, and grayish insect that feeds on the leaves and stems of alfalfa plants. The larvae of the alfalfa weevil cause the most damage to the crop. They feed on the new growth of the plant, causing significant reductions in yield and quality.
Alfalfa weevil is native to Europe, but it has been introduced to many parts of the world, including North America, South America, and Asia. It was first reported in the United States in the early 1900s and has since become a major pest of alfalfa crops.
Meaning in different dictionaries
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, alfalfa weevil is defined as “a small weevil (Hypera postica) that is a serious pest of alfalfa and other legumes.” The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as “a beetle that feeds on alfalfa plants, causing significant damage to the crop.”
Alfalfa weevil is associated with the agricultural industry, particularly the production of alfalfa crops. It is also associated with pest control and the use of insecticides to manage infestations.
Some synonyms of alfalfa weevil include:
- alfalfa leaf weevil.
- clover leaf weevil.
- legume weevil.
As alfalfa weevil is a specific type of beetle, there are no antonyms for it.
The same root words
There are no root words associated with alfalfa weevil.
- The alfalfa weevil infestation caused significant damage to the crop.
- Farmers use insecticides to control the population of alfalfa weevils on their fields.
- The larvae of the alfalfa weevil feed on the new growth of the plant, causing stunted growth and reduced yield.
- The alfalfa weevil is a common pest of alfalfa crops in North America.
- The clover leaf weevil is a close relative of the alfalfa weevil and can also cause damage to legume crops.